3.20.2009

Elgin Vineyard (part 2... well, the rest because I've been so bad at updating)

So, the Elgin Vineyard has already left, and I realized I've been a very bad girl and haven't let y'all in on the wonderful times and things we got to do while they were here... so, here's the info you've all been waiting for!!

Day 2- DUMP AND UNIVERSO

On the second day, the team headed out to feed about 300 people working at the local dump. I unfortunately couldn't go with them because my nose doctor wouldn't let me. But, I heard amazing things. Many of the team members had some great interactions with the people working there and I think the workers were blessed. The team came back dusty, smelly and sweaty but with huge smiles on their faces, so I think they were blessed too!

After the dump, the team headed out to a poor community called Universo where La Vina has a small church plant. At the church, they fed another 200 people or so and got to participate in the kids activities and service. They did a powerful skit they had prepared. I got to translate for them, which was cool and also made me so nervous!

Despite the long hours they had worked, a few of the members of the group and I got to go to Kyle and Ellen's house and have a time of prayer and blessing over the missionaries. Kyle especially was needing prayer since that day he had been battling pretty hard to keep the apartment they've currently been renting to use for the church in their community (Dona Chonita - where I've been helping teach English Classes). The owner decided to sell it right out from under Kyle and was demanding they be out that day. Kyle was able to negotiate really well, though, and got a deal with an apartment across the street... whew! But, anyway, he was pretty beat up that night, so it was cool to have the team there to build him and the other missionaries up (including myself!). Thanks team!!

DAY 3- DONA CHONITA LUNCH AND YOUTH GROUP

In the first half of the day, the team went back to Dona Chonita to participate in the kids' class and the feeding they have there every week. There were about 200 kids, all super excited to meet the "gringos". Tim's strong arms were the highlight of the day. At one point he wrapped his big strong arms around four kids at once and picked them right up off the ground. They all screamed with delight and kept begging him to do it over and over! Even a week later, they keep asking when Tim is going to come back.

My dad and I led the kids songs with all sorts of motions and dancing and that was super fun. Then, Kyle and Ellen taught the kids about King David becoming king and how we are all princes and princesses of the Most High King. We all helped the kids make little crowns, which turned out so cute! It was a great activity.

Then, the team helped pass out food to all 200 kids and after that just hung out. It was such a blessing having them here that morning. Teams probably never get to see it, but having been here longer, I can see how much of a blessing teams are when they come. They bring a new spark to the ministry, creative ideas, fresh smiles and also give the missionary a break from some of the planning and leading they have to do. And, having a big team means there's a better ratio of kids to adults, so more kids get more hugs! What a blessing!

In the evening, my parents came out with me to Madero where I help lead worship for the Youth Group. The Youth Group is one of my favorite things during the week because it's one of the places where I have most of my friends here, so it was awesome to have them meet everyone and see what it's like.

Oh, and Randy's amazing computer skills came in really handy on Saturday. He was able to help with the power point and there hasn't been any problems since!

DAY 4 - LOTS OF CHURCH

Day 4 was Sunday, so we went to both the English and Spanish service in the morning and then to a Spanish service out in the community Madero in the evening. In the morning, my dad got to play guitar on the worship team for the English service and then later that night in Madero. Terra and Jen got to help sing in the morning, too. Terra even had a solo and she did great! It was so much fun getting to do that with them. In the evening, Michelle preached to the group out in Madero. It was amazing. Several people were really touched by the sermon and came up for prayer afterwards - even big men were in tears. What a cool thing that we had a great speaker like Michelle on our team. Thank you God! I was so proud and grateful that it blessed the people in Madero.

DAY 5 - DAY OF REST

Monday was everyone's day off. My mom and I got to spend some time together doing some shopping and then later I got to take my Dad to my host home and show him where I'm living. We got some ice cream, too... mmm!!! We all got to do some exciting things on the beach, too! All the girls went horseback riding on the beach... which, was TERRIFYING for me! My horse kept wanting to trot and I felt like I was going to fall off the whole time. My legs were sore from it a week later! It was fun to try anyway. My mom was especially excited when she got to go parasailing for the first time! It was a pretty windy day, and when she was out over the water her parachute came sort of low (at least as far as we could tell). Boy, were we glad to see her back safely! And, she was so exhilirated getting to go! She kept exclaiming over and over how fun it was. It was great to see her so happy.

DAY 6 - CONSTRUCTION AND BIBLE STUDIES

In the morning, the men headed off to Stone Island to finish doing some construction on the church in Stone Island. Finally, the church has lights inside! What a huge blessing!

The women got to do something really special this morning that I had been looking forward to the most... we headed over to Madero to take part in the women's bible study. Terra shared her testimony which was so powerful. All of the women asked for prayer and were really touched. Then, afterwards, we had a craft time! We brought tons of fancy papers, beads, and all sorts of stuff and had a blast making book marks, decorating picture frames and making jewelry. The women got so into it and had a great time! It was such a relationship building time and we had so much fun!

Then, we headed back out to Stone Island to meet up with the men. Michelle went and cut another 10 people's hair, Terra shared her testimony again at the womens' bible study (again, very powerful!), and we got to do the skit again for the kids and then my mom and I played games with them. Everything worked out so well and was so much fun. My mom was so great with her Spanish! She wasn't bashful at all to use it, and did great!

The only tragic thing that happened was that Tim's wallet got money taken from it. We think it was by one of the boys from the Stone Island and Lydia and Dave talked with him, but he didn't admit anything. So, we don't know for sure who did it. It's so tough to know what to do. This kid in particular is 11 years old and basically has been disowned by his family and is left to fend for himself. So, in a way, I can understand why he would steal money. But, it still doesn't make it right. We all gathered around and just prayed for the situation and hope that God will work on his (or whoever it was) heart.

DAY 7 - TIME TO SAY GOODBYE (ALREADY? MAN, THAT WENT FAST!)

Wendesday morning we spent some time "debriefing" and reflecting on the trip. It was nice to hear people's thoughts on the trip. Then, we had to hop on the bus and head to the airport. Oh, it was a sad day for everyone... especially me. I cried especially hard when hugging my dad goodbye. It was so great having everyone here and it was sad to see them leave. But, it helps me knowing that I'll be back in Elgin at the end of April.

Thank you so much, team, for all the hard work and love you poured into the trip. You really made such a difference and I know the missionaries said they loved working with you. It was awesome for me to have some friends get to see what my life is like down here and share in the things I experience from day to day. I had lots of fun and can't wait to see y'all again!

0 comments: