12.01.2008

Teaching English

This Wednesday, I'm going to start teaching English lessons with missionaries Kyle and Ellen in their colonia (neighborhood)! I'll be teaching the adults, and they'll be teaching the children. None of us have ever done this before, so we're all a bit nervous, but also excited. It's a great opportunity to provide some practical help to the people in this community and also build relationships with them. When I was in China/Thailand, I got to see how my sister-in-law prepares for teaching her English classes, spend time helping some of her students, and then in Thailand I got to help teach English to the girls in the girls' home in Thailand. These experiences really peaked my interest in teaching English, and it just happened that this was one of the things Kyle and Ellen wanted to start doing in their colony. How cool that God worked that out just right! This is something totally new for me. I have no idea if I'll be good at it or not, but I'm just going to do my best and learn from my mistakes. There's no other way to get better at something, right? I think it helps a lot that I'm currently taking Spanish lessons from an amazing teacher, so I have a good example and also a good understanding of what it's like to be a student. Also, Kyle and Ellen have picked out some curriculum, which helps a lot with the lesson planning. Please pray for us as we all venture into this totally new territory! And, pray that it would help us build relationships with the families in this community.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! So, how was English class?...It's snowing here and it made me think of you enjoying the sunny, warm weather. I hope your enjoying it!