This afternoon was the first day for the English class that Kyle, Ellen and I are going to be teaching on Wednesdays. We weren't sure how many people to expect, but we got a big turnout of children and teens - about 20 total! There was so much excitement on all of their faces as they were waiting to get started with their lessons. I taught the teens (3 total), while Kyle took on the big task of teaching the little kids. From where I could stand, the kids sounded like they were really engaged and having a great experience. My class went fairly well for my first time ever teaching English. I did run into several problems, especially with the language barrier, but the teens seemed to enjoy themselves and learn something. I'm doing my best to study up so I can be an even better teacher next week! I realized today that knowing English as your native language doesn't necessarily make someone an English teacher. There's so much involved. My teachers always made it seem so easy, but I guess that's because I was on the learning end of things. Regardless, I know that I can only improve from here!
Probably my biggest hurdle today was just trying to stay calm. I normally get really anxious when I have to lead anything - it almost cripples me. But, today I really felt a total peace and grace. I think a huge part of that is the people I'm working with - Kyle and Ellen. They have been immensely encouraging and supportive to me. When I am around them, I really feel so much grace and that they really want me to succeed and are willing to help me do just that. I just can't say how much that means to me. I feel incredibly blessed by them.
One of the best outcomes of today was that Ellen was able to have a deep conversation with one of the ladies in the neighborhood and even got to pray with her. Ellen said that she hasn't had that happen in many months. Praise God for these new connections and for giving us the chance to offer this practical help to the community! Please continue to pray that we would really be able to bless the people and pray for me as I learn how to be a better teacher!
12.03.2008
Good Start
Posted by aubsblog at 10:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yeah!
Gonna follow you now :)
I have a photoblog up at kshermphoto.blogspot.com
Adios!
not confident - you could have fooled me! Don't worry, pretend you're confident - e a good actor - and you'll bcome confident without even knowing it.
Post a Comment