Yesterday was Thanksgiving (my favorite holiday) but it was quite a different experience for me this year. We did get to celebrate with about 15 of the missionaries which was wonderful. We had turkey, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie and even a football game playing in the background! It was really nice, but I still missed having my family near and all of the fun things we do together - driving 10 hours up to South Dakota, eating too much for 3 days straight, staying up late playing games and watching movies, going for long walks in the cold - all just to be together. But, I'm in a totally different place. I don't have any family here and there's no fall decor to indicate the coming of the holiday. It feels a whole lot more like summer than the end of November. It's beautiful here, but nothing like the Thanksgiving I'm used to. I have to admit, I definitely had some homesick moments.
A friend reminded me that my situation is similar to what the original pilgrims had experienced when they left behind their homes to settle into a new land. There were no comforts of home, they also missed loved ones so deeply, and they had to make relationships with people who lived so differently and spoke a completely foreign language. Sounds a lot like me! So, really this is the most authentic Thanksgiving I've ever experienced. Though I miss home so much, I am also very grateful that God has brought me here for the ways He has provided friendships and "family" to help make this feel more like home.
I hope that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving this year and that the Spirit of thanks-giving remains with you always.
11.28.2008
Thanksgiving in Mazatlan
Posted by aubsblog at 11:26 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
So glad you're having a great time. It is, indeed, like the original Thanksgiving. I had a great day -- I flew to St. Louis to visit my sister. Got back in time to decorate the church for thanksgiving. And did my house on saturday - or most of it. We had a marvelous service today. I'll probably post something about it later. A Bulgarian national was talking about the church in Bulgaria.
We miss you too. It's snowing here...and I'm pretty sure it's NOT something that I would miss...only you would miss COLD. Love you lots Aubs. :)
Hi sweetheart. I love your ability to always see the positive side of everything :) I know that it is that ability and your faith and love in the Lord that will get you through any homesick moments you may have along the way. You are going such wonderful work in Mexico and I know that every experience you have will only help you be closer to God. During this thanks-giving season I want you to know that I am thankful to have you in my life. You are an amazing woman and an even more amazing friend. I love you and pray for you daily... I can't wait to read your next update! Take care of yourself and remember, we are all missing you too.
Aubree, you always manage to keep your head up no matter what. We genuinely felt a loss w/o you at Thanksgiving. We went to Uncle UJ's and had a good time - no SD this year b/c of Jannette's wedding. Then Saturday and Sunday we went to Lake Geneva to a water park/hotel. There were 7 of us: the Ficks, Caleb and Peter, Matt D, Dad and me. It was lots o'fun, but again we missed YOU! I sent you a package, lmk when you get it. They said it would be there by Friday. They'd BETTER be right, I lost and arm and a leg sending it! You're well worth it though. Love you like the dickens! (whatever that is) Mom
Post a Comment